So I have decided to post my monthly genealogical to-do lists here on my blog and maybe if it is out there for everyone to see I might actually do what's on the list. (Of course I might just find that blogging my to-do list is more fun than doing what's on it and nothing will change.)
Tomorrow I will post my October to do list. But today I want to wrap up my September to do list.
September was a rough month for me because school started back and that meant work started back for me. I work as a substitute teacher and in the past few years I have had slow Septembers. It is the beginning of the school year and not many people are taking off. So I had this in mind when I made my September list. But for whatever reason this year, I have been extremely busy. I have worked all but 4 days this month, and one was a sick day for me.
Looking back at my September list it wasn't actually that long (for genealogy related tasks).
My goals were:
- Go through my bookmarks and add the info to my genealogy database and file bookmarks to keep away
- Finish my genealogy courses through the University of Toronto's National Institute for Genealogical Studies
- Back up my hard drive
- Do a marriage chat in Second Life
That leaves me with the bookmarks. I really need to think of a better system for saving my finds when searching. I love the hunt, but I really need to focus on entering what I find and sourcing that info in my genealogy database before I start searching for another family. I did make a good dent in my bookmarks, but I also created more in the process. I really need to deal with my MATTHEWS family folder of bookmarks because I'm starting to forget what I was finding.
I also have a to-do list of things I want done before the end of the year.
- Create coffee table book of my grandfather's pictures for family members to order for Christmas.
- Fix source citations in my EISWERTH branch. (This is part of my overall goal of re-sourcing my database and I have broken it up into my grandparents' branches. I finished my SUCKLING line in August. This was very beneficial to me because I found so many new leads in what I already had.)
I started experimenting with Ancestry's My Canvas to create the coffee table book. I like how it is coming together, but I have some photo editing to do and tough choices on which photos to include. I hope to have this done by Thanksgiving to give everyone a chance to order the books for Christmas.
So I didn't do too bad with my September list, and I still have most of today to tackle some more bookmarks. Of course the EISWERTH line is all over my desk, so I'll probably just work on it today. Check back tomorrow for my October to-do list.